Sunday, October 6, 2013

Drops of Blood on My Forehead

God, I hate blogging.

Weird for one who writes professionally to admit such a feeling. But if you're going to look inside this copywriter's head, that's a truth you're going to discover.

One of my favorite quotes about writing is from American journalist, author and dramatist Gene Fowler, who reportedly said,


  Writing is easy: All you do is stare at a sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead.

That's what it feels like for me when it comes to personal blogging. I write for a living, all week long, in a variety of channels including blogs. Every day, I speak as the "voice" of someone else – our agency, our clients, etc. So when it comes time to speak in my own voice, via this blog, why is it such a struggle? I suppose a therapist could have a field day with this – uncomfortable speaking in my own voice, perhaps? Afraid to open my head and heart publicly?

I prefer not to analyze it, but simply to acknowledge it. And as any writer knows, sometimes you just plough through and hope that in the course of writing a lot of drivel, occasionally something gold will show up. You just may not recognize it, covered in drops of blood as it may be.


No comments:

Post a Comment