Thursday, July 2, 2015

Go Ahead, Take a Stand


Up, down. Up, down.

Welcome to my work world, of late. No, we haven't started in-office exercising. You'll find no lunges going on here. Instead, I have one of those jazzy adjustable desktops (Varidesk) that allow you to sit or stand at your desk while you work. And I gotta say, two thumbs up.

The VARIDESK. No, not my desk. Please, who has a working desk that neat?

When we first moved into our latest office, I was intrigued to see the number of people standing at their desks. Ours is one of those trendy, urban, open-space work environments that are "designed to facilitate serendipitous exchanges, spontaneous encounters, and impromptu meetings." (I’m convinced they’re really nothing more than a headcount/cost-cutting maneuver, force-fitting more people into less space, but positioned and promoted as cool, trendy, and intentionally designed to benefit the employee).
Not my office. But not unlike my office.
In reality, the new office is loud, at-times sensory-overloading, and reminiscent of a warehouse or large factory floor, with people lined up side-by-side in cubicles that are not unlike an assembly line.
Again, not my office. But again, not unlike my office.
Did I mention that it’s loud? Thank God for noise-canceling headsets.
Anyway, when in Rome... I decided to ask for one of the standing desks (they are optional and not forced upon those who resist.) Surprisingly and unexpectedly, it’s been a refreshing change. Not only does it allow me to break free of the sea of heads seated row by row, assembly-line style, to rise up and declare my independence, if you will, but I feel more energized at work these days. No, shifting from a seated to a standing position once an hour or so does not constitute true exercise; nor could it be called invigorating. But the sheer act of getting off my ass several times a day brings a refreshing change of perspective. I actually find it as easy, if not easier, to write while in the upright position. Who’da thunk?

As if to confirm my new stand/sit work practice, I recently read a NY Times piece that stated:
“Sitting for more than three hours a day can shave our life expectancy by two years – even if we exercise regularly.”
There was no source cited, but still. It was in the NY Times, so there you have it. Then I saw this little nugget online:
Yikes. And if you like citations and substantiation, check out this blog (and thank you, Lisa DeBruine, for doing the hard work.) Logically, it makes sense that it would be healthier to move and change position throughout the day, rather than sitting the whole time. So the standing desk, in its many variations, is kind of genius. And three cheers for the app that pops up on my screen and reminds me throughout the day that it’s time to stand, or time to sit down. I don’t always obey, but it’s a great reminder.


All this is just to say, it's good to mix it up sometimes. If you only ever write while sitting, get on your feet and give it a whirl. If you only ever use your laptop to write, try the old pen and paper route next time. A change of pace might just do you good, in more ways than one.


1 comment: